Wednesday 17 August 2011

Am I the only one who does this?

It's 3.07pm on a Wednesday afternoon and both my kids are out with their friends, so why is my 'to do' list going the wrong way?  I've got about thirty different tasks scribbled down, and I've only crossed off four - four measly jobs!

If I'm honest, I know the reason why - I've PROCRASTINATED, again!  I can't help myself.  Instead of completing tax returns, I dug out the front flowerbed, instead of ironing, I read fellow writer's blogs, instead of reconciling accounts, I went shopping and instead of writing, I checked out Amazon's bestseller charts.

I hate feeling like I've wasted the day.  Every morning I grab my latte, sit down in the office and write out a new 'to do' list, (with around 50% of the tasks being old ones, carried forward from the day before!).  In the back of my mind I have a vague plan that 'today I'm going to get ORGANISED'.  I plan to divide my day into segments, and allocate a certain amount of time for: my hubbie's business tasks, exercise, writing (my next book), marketing (my published book), and even more importantly - quality time with my children, and also hubbie when he eventually makes it in from work, oh, and maybe some housework and cook dinner...

I know it's achievable, but for some reason it seems beyond me.  More often than not I spend the evening catching up with business tasks (when I should be doing stuff with the kids), and I don't find the time to write at all.

I know I'm not unique, most people have busy lifestyles and a lot of people have far more on their plate than I do.  So I've decided; enough is enough.  I am going to get organised and be one of those super efficient people and sit down at the end of the day with a smug smile, knowing I'm on top of my game.

What about you?  Are you like me?  (Please tell me I'm not the only one) or are you someone who just cracks on and gets the job(s) done.  Either way, I'd love to know, so please leave a comment.  

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=1499">Image: Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

same as!!!! :) X

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

Yay, I'm not alone! Hopefully an organised person will post a comment soon and we can pick up some tips!!

Isis Rushdan said...

Unfortunately you are not alone. I think we all succumb to procrastination from time to time. For some reason, the more on my plate the more I seem to accomplish. When I set hard dates to get something done that usually motivates me.

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

You're right Isis - what's the saying - "If you want something done, ask a busy person."

Hard dates is a good idea. Once I know something has to be done - I get a rush of motivation. Like when someone calls to tell you they're just round the corner and will be dropping in for coffee... That's when I do my fastest housework!!

Annette said...

it's far too easy to put off jobs you don't want to do but you do seem to have an awful lot to get done!!!

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

Aww thanks, Annette - making excuses for me :o)

Tess said...

I am definitely in the same club as you (o: ..am glad I am not alone! There just doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day at the moment. I do find it very frustrating that I really want to spend more time with the kids but there always seems to be just one more thing to do and by the time I am finished I am just ready for bed (with cheeky glass of wine of course)
I do find it gets better in the winter, thats strange, isnt it? x

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

Seems like there's loads of us! That does make me feel better.

Oh, and the cheeky glass of wine - a wonderful way to wash away all the guilt, lol.

Maybe I'll be better in the winter too...

Unknown said...

You are not alone! I am totally the same! And as Tess said there are never enough hours in the day! In fact yesterday I thought it was only Tuesday because it couldn't be Wednesday yet as I hadn't finished Tuesday's work! And sadly I don't think there is a solution... other than be less busy but I feel that will never happen! You seem the type like myself that can only truly cope with 50 different things happening at once! :)

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

Lol, Karissa. So... not only are there not enough hours in the day, but also not enough days in the week!!

At least we don't have time to get bored! (Or is that because we don't ever get round to doing those boring jobs) ;o)

SweetMarie83 said...

I discovered quite a long time ago that procrastination runs rampant among writers. I don't think I've met a fellow writer yet who DOESN'T procrastinate. Funny thing is, writing is what we love to do best (at least I assume, why else would we do it, right? lol) and yet we find a thousand excuses NOT to do it. Like right now, for instance, instead of revising my WIP, I'm here enjoying your blog. In a few minutes, I'll wander away from the computer to find some lunch, probably get distracted doing other things and maybe eventually get back to writing, but I've got to fit in a work-out somewhere in there, too...maybe. It's awful! But it's also kinda nice to know we're not alone in this odd little quirk, right? ;-)

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

Hi SweetMarie - I'm definitely feeling better knowing there are so many others out there getting distracted. Don't faint, but I've actually been pro-active today... But that doesn't mean I've crossed more jobs off my list; what I've done is organise my days from now on - 'x' amount of hours for work, 'x' amount for writing, 'x' amount for housework, etc. Do you think I'll stick to it? ;o)

Unknown said...

I'm absolutely like you! Doing what I want to do is always more appealing than doing what is on the list, hehe. And even when I do tackle the list, I always get sidetracked by a million other items (some on-list, some not) and it makes for very slow list finishing.

but one way or another, I will always have my list!

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

I guess that's the problem Eileen - why reconcile accounts when you could be checking out other blogs/booking holidays/shopping? I guess the plan is to tick off more jobs than you need to add on the next day! ;o)