Friday 13 January 2012

Superstitions and Magic Eyes

                              magic eye source


A Magic Eye for Friday 13th. Does this date ever cause you problems? Are you superstitious, or is it all stuff and nonsense?

I must admit, even though I don't think of myself as superstitious, there are things I do that suggest otherwise; crossing my fingers for luck, not walking under ladders, always finishing a bottle of red wine once it's opened. That's not a superstition..?

So I was thinking, how did Friday the 13th become such an unlucky day?

On National Geographic website, according to Donald Dossey, you can trace the fear of 13 to a Norse myth about 12 gods having a dinner party at Valhalla, their heaven. In walked the uninvited 13th guest, the mischievous Loki. Once there, Loki arranged for Hoder, the blind god of darkness, to shoot Balder the Beautiful, the god of joy and gladness, with a mistletoe-tipped arrow.

"Balder died and the whole Earth got dark. The whole Earth mourned. It was a bad, unlucky day," said Dossey. From that moment on, the number 13 has been considered ominous and foreboding.

I don't know about you, but I think people should worry less about the number 13 and more about this Loki character. So what about you, do you have any strange superstitions?

Have a great weekend everybody. I'm back on Monday with an interview from author Marie Landry, whose debut novel 'Blue Sky Days' is being published on 17th January 2012.

6 comments:

Miss Cole said...

That magic eye is the position I always adopt for SERIOUS WRITING THOUGHTS ;)

I have to salute single magpies. ALWAYS. And I greet all magpies, no matter how many there are: "Hello Mr Magpie, how are you today?/Hello Mr Magpie, how are you and your wife today?/Hello Mr Magpie, how are you and your family today?"

^^;

prerna pickett said...

I don't think Friday the 13th is some horrible day when disaster is likely to strike. i think it's kind of cool, actually. If i was born on the 13th, i would throw an awesome, spook-fest of a party if my b-day fell on a friday the 13th.

Tess said...

Love the superstition to always finish a bottle of wine (must use it more often lol). I try not to believe in superstitions although when a black cat cross in front of me I am always a bit alert that day (o:

P.S. love your magic eyes
xxx

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

@Miss Cole - Great serious writing position! And, I bet you dread if you ever see a whole flock of magpies.

I need to ask, what does ^^ mean? I keep seeing it, but I'm not cool enough to know? :D

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

@Prerna - You're right. I think the problem is the power of suggestion...

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

@Tess - well at least it's a great excuse! (The wine, not the black cat bit ;o)

Glad you're still enjoying the magic eyes. :D xx